Monday 4 June 2012

Retail.... Distraction



I was toying with the idea of calling this post "retail therapy", but there are two things wrong here. One, it was not therapy, I am not running from anything and think that buying things is going to make it better and two... I am not a middle aged mum trying to be "hip". This trip was simply to scout out things that we needed for the house and in all honesty it did serve as a distraction for day 1 of the 2 day bank holiday, where nothing will progress.


The house being a repossession needs a few things, one of them being a new light for in the living room. The old tenants (I think) were smokers which has left a slight tarnish on what is in there, although mainly in the living room and conservatory. When we saw this it was very reasonably priced and would go well with the coffee table we have from our flat and so, we decided to get it.

Apart from visiting a few home places that offered varying household items from lighting through to cups and saucers we went to look at sofas and carpets, these being two of the three other items we need.

DFS seemed like a good choice to me, although the other half seems to have an in built hatred towards the place. She doesn't like somewhere that "CONSTANTLY" has a sale on. They had a great choice, but they also had around 2 sales people per member of the public. It was nice to look around and admire the selection but honestly the pitch was repetitive. I could almost hear the training session in my head "Push the fact that the cloth ones are UK made, push the interest free credit and if you feel like there is any chance of the sale, push the lead time, PLEASE don't forget to push the lead time!" Honestly, in the time we were there 4 staff came up to us and did the pitch. Fine if you needed help, but I am the sort of person that will ask, rather than be pushed. In my opinion you can get a better offering online and at a better price, but that is not an informed decision and I will continue to investigate and comment on that again at a later date.

CarperRight for the carpets were okay, the staff were friendly and weren't looking for the pushy sale, a simple, "No just looking" when we went it sufficed and when I went to inquire about having the measuring done it was all on our terms (as it had to be, we haven't exchanged yet) and I got the information I was looking for. I will say though that there pricing on underlay is horrendous, if you can, try to get your underlay online, you will easily save 70% and just fit it yourself. It was VERY expensive.

So today was a good day, we didn't get the house, but that's fine, I wasn't expecting to. We did however, get a new light.

No comments:

Post a Comment